Blended Leg

Just a general needlework and cross stitch blog

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Celtic Mystery SAL Progress

I found a piece of 28 ct Platinum Jobelan at Scarlet Thread in Vienna that worked well with my chosen Celtic Mystery SAL colors. I steadily got started two weeks ago. I've been mostly working on the black borders with a couple of detours with two of green knots. Everything was going so well.

And then I hit another snag along the way. Last Saturday night I discovered I was off somewhere. I couldn't figure out for the life of me where. Finally I made a plea on the SAL mailing list. The designer is very nice and posted a larger version of the first part. I found my two errors. The major error was on the big square underneath the top green knot. It was missing one stitch which threw everything else off, of course. That involved the heartbreaking frogging of the whole green knot. Thankfully needlework can be redone.

After a morning with the frogs, I was able to close up some sections and complete my first corner motif. I still have to work on the left side some more before the next release. The design goes pretty quickly when things are clicking, even the black border. Then I hit another major snag. I was in tears and ready to throw in the towel, but I persevered. I finally found light at the end of the froggy tunnel and I finished off the interior framework. All that black...

I've included a closeup of Barfy the Cat-Owl. That requires some explanation. On the mailing list, there's been some discussion on what animal is in that corner motif. Was it a cat? An owl? Some strange mutation thereof? Then came the observation that the cat was puking a rainbow and Barfy (Or maybe Ralph?) was born. (Someone also joked it was the original Lolcat.) My variegated orange thread has made Barfy into a very mottled calico cat, rather than a tabby, kind of orange and brown, although the glowing eyes are rather owlish too. Hence the Cat-Owl, a rare species lost in Celtic times. Or something. The rest of the color scheme with the green and purple is very Mardi Gras-esque, especially once I add the gold interior border. Pretty though.



This is the fishtail section that comprises the second part. I'd like to thank my yellow highlighter for its part in my success, because keeping track of those color changes is no small feat.



And this is my full progress as of 4/21/08. I've since added more green in the border and completed the other cat on the corner. Thank god I've ordered more green and gold for the borders. Otherwise I'd be at a total standstill.

Labels: ,

1 Comments:

Blogger CathE said...

Wow - well done Julia. It's lovely to see how this one's working out. I'm downloading the chart but stitching it is on the backburner for now.

7:56 AM  

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home