Blended Leg

Just a general needlework and cross stitch blog

Thursday, June 08, 2006

It's an art

Trends come and go. Needlework is no different. I've noticed a growing one on Livejournal's cross_stitch group. The theme should be "think big". Cute small pocket projects are passe. No one does angels anymore, unless they're UFOs or older charts they're finally getting around to. No, what everyone wants to do is paint. Everyone is doing these massive projects charted from fine art, requiring hours of gridding and prep work. Finishing a whole page is a big deal to these stitchers, which I can understand if the final project has 60 pages! Wayback when I was last paying attention to cross stitch, places like Uncharted Territory were unusual. Now they appear to be a dime a dozen. While I adore Pre-Raphaelite art like whoa, I'm not sure I have the time or patience or endurance to do one of those projects. It seems like it'd be easier to just buy a print. Besides, it's almost like needlepoint where you cover the entire canvas, losing the fun of picking an interesting piece of fabric.

This week's SBQ is slightly more involved, requiring either camera or scanner. I may wait until the weekend to put up anything, if at all.

Labels:

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I would go nuts if I only stitched a big piece. I'm working on TW's Egyptian Sampler, and it's fun, slow and frustrating. I've been haunting my used book shop locally, for leaflets and books of assorted designs just so I can have something to choose among for smaller projects. I saw one that was all angels, but I like wizards and dragons and such better, so I didn't buy it. :)

I know a lot of people love HAED designs, and I agree they are pretty, but I'd never stitch one. Covering the entire cloth with basic cross stitches would bore me to tears before I'd completed a single page.

I personally enjoy small designs, as long as they are really nice when they're finished. *g*

7:13 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home