Blended Leg

Just a general needlework and cross stitch blog

Wednesday, May 31, 2006

SBQ: Collecting habits

Do you collect charts by one particular designer, yet have never stitched anything by that designer? If so, which designer and why do you collect the charts but have not yet stitched any of them?

Not intentionally. I have collected a number of charts by the same designer, usually with every intention to start them someday. I don't think I've ever bought them just to say I own a particular chart, nor would I call myself a completist with needlework. (If you asked me the same about authors or musicians I like, it'd be a completely different story.) I have quite a few Drawn Thread patterns but I haven't started any of them yet. Usually in my case, I find a shinier chart/design that I can't live without... or I get intimidated by the specialty threads or stitches. There's usually a reason I haven't started something.

Speaking of designers I own a number of charts, but haven't done them, I was interested to learn that Teresa Wentzler now has a blog called Artistic License. One of her posts talked about the process of recharting her older designs, weighing the artistic desire to improve her older designs, while feeling a certain loyalty to those who've already stitched the pattern. Personally I don't see why having the alternate version available is so terrible. Stitchers are known to do the same pattern twice, although not TW's patterns usually, because they take so long to finish. Apparently a number of her charts are available now on Patterns Online where you can download and print the chart. Her patterns still look pricey, but compared to the hassle of searching for used copies off ebay, it's a nifty way to keep patterns in print.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home