Blended Leg

Just a general needlework and cross stitch blog

Thursday, May 18, 2006

SBQ: Who stole my mojo?

"Lately, it seems that many stitching bloggers have experienced a loss of their stitching mojo. Have you ever lost your stitching mojo? If so, how did you get it back and how long did it take?"

A timely SBQ question this time around. Only in this last month I have started to recover from a long stitching drought. I don't think it was losing the interest or "magical influence", just constraints of time. I always had a number of other priorities or other hobbies holding me back.

And yet even with other friends knitting away around me, I didn't feel the urge to pick up my needlework in my usual solitary protest. (It's not that I dislike knitting. I just don't seem to have the coordination for it, so I stitck with the craft I do know.)

A month or so again, several friends online discussed the idea of a general themed stitch-along and I wanted to participate. Suddenly I itched for a project. I wanted to stare at fabrics and pretty overdyed specialty fibers. I found myself actually looking at needlework websites and discovering how many stitching blogs existed. Even discovered a larger cross stitch community on Livejournal I hadn't found before. Seeing other people's WIPs and finishes helped the process back along. Stitching can be very solitary sometimes, like writing, and I seem to do better when I have other like-minded souls to correspond with. (Or feel like I am anyway.)

For me, the time away refocused the juices on the older projects. Sorting through my stash was both depressing in what I had left unfinished (or even unstarted) and invigorating. Hence my desire to finish the two Pocket Dragons patterns. "Scary Book" is still coming along, although I need to frog a whole section of 932 I did last night. The dragon himself is mostly done except for some little "pockets".

I'm hoping to start some new projects when BGAL starts in June, so hopefully the stitching will continue.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home