Blended Leg

Just a general needlework and cross stitch blog

Friday, May 05, 2006

SBQ: March 2005

Do you prefer old-fashioned black and white symbol only patterns, color patterns, or a combination of color and symbols on your patterns?

Black & white are fine as long as they're clearly printed. Having looked over some of older charts this weekend, I noticed the ones that were lovely designs, but I'd be hard pressed to read the charts. If you have to do color, I'd prefer it combined with a symbol of some kind.

I'll add a caveat to the color plus symbol method. I was working on a chart like that last night. Please for god's sake, don't put the same symbol with two different colors, especially if they're right next to each other on the chart, however nice they look on the printed chart. It'll just confuse the poor stitcher on which shade of green she needs.

Do you have a favorite designer? If so, who is it?

You're asking me to choose? But... but... but... I'd probably go with early Mirabilia as my current favorite. They're beautiful and relatively easy to make progress in.

On average, how many hours a week do you spend cross-stitching?

Varies widely. I just went through a long drought, so comparatively speaking, it seems like I'm stitching a lot lately. I try to do a few hours a day if possible, but sometimes all my stitching is over the weekend.

What are your thoughts on craft and/or needlework shows? Have you been to one or are you planning on going to one this year?

I've only been to two needlework shows, the Woodlawn and Loudon Museum shows. The Woodlawn show was usually bigger and covered a wider range of needlework styles. The Loudon Museum one was mostly samplers, but they had a large book dealer. I enjoyed both shows immensely, but they were also quite intimidating. I'm not sure I'd ever show my work. The closest I came was when Needlewoman East showed some of their customers' work for an Open House and my "Winter Rose" hung on their wall.

How has your stitching evolved since you first started stitching?

I'm not as afraid of evenweave/linen fabrics as I used to be. I still tend to do older patterns by designers so I can dodge the worst of blended colors and beading/metallics. I still shy away from the specialty stitches, which is a pity because I like a lot of samplers. The only non-cross-stitch stuff I've dabbled in is blackwork. I'd like to do a full project in that sometime.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home